Tuesday, August 22, 2017

{Review} This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills

27779275
Page Count: 320
Published on: October 4, 2016
Published by: Henry Holt & Co. 
Genre(s): YA, Contemporary, Romance
Source: Hardback - personally purchased
Age Rating: YA
Where To Find It: Goodreads // Amazon // Book Depository
Twitter@elmify



My Rating: 5 stars











Goodreads synopsis:

Sloane isn't expecting to fall in with a group of friends when she moves from New York to Florida—especially not a group of friends so intense, so in love, so all-consuming. Yet that's exactly what happens.

Sloane becomes closest to Vera, a social-media star who lights up any room, and Gabe, Vera's twin brother and the most serious person Sloane's ever met. When a beloved painting by the twins' late mother goes missing, Sloane takes on the responsibility of tracking it down, a journey that takes her across state lines—and ever deeper into the twins' lives.

Filled with intense and important friendships, a wonderful warts-and-all family, shiveringly good romantic developments, and sharp, witty dialogue, this story is about finding the people you never knew you needed.



~~~

Hey, guys!

     Right before I started my book buying ban, I made a BookOutlet order that had the hardcover of This Adventure Ends in it. This was right after I finished First & Then and I just had to have TAE in my hands. I'm just in love with Emma Mill's writing now. TAE was even better than F&E! It is definitely going to be one of my top books of the year. 

     This Adventure Ends follows the snarky and hilarious Sloane. Sloane is the new girl in her new Florida town. She doesn't expect to become friends with Vera, Gabe, Remy, Aubrey, and Frank. Vera and Gabe are twins. When their late mother's painting is sold, Sloane decides to track it down. This book is full of fantastic friendships, an awesome parental relationship, hilarious banter, and an amazing plot. This book! Read it!

     This book had such a fantastic plot and a wonderful and diverse cast of characters. All of them were so fun to read about. They were all so relatable and natural. They had their own issues and flaws, but they stuck together. The big friend group was so wonderful. Their friendship is solid and their loyalty to each other is so great. Granted, they had their own issues amongst themselves and were prone to miscommunication sometimes, but that's normal! 

     I loved Sloane as the main character. Her voice was so great. She said things that were literally laugh-out-loud hilarious. I found myself laughing in public and I nearly cried during a couple parts of the book. This book was just so wonderfully written. I'm definitely going to be reading the books Emma Mills puts out in the future. Sloane's character development really made the book for me. She has her own flaws, but they're not the over dramatic things that frequent YA books. It's so original and fun.


      I loved the friend group. They all love each other so much even through their flaws. Emma Mills really has a skill for developing friend groups. They are always so loyal to each other, but of course, there's bound to be drama and miscommunication. I loved how they were portrayed in this book. 

     Vera is absolute friend goals. I loved her character. She's so different and she has a constant presence throughout the book. Sometimes girlfriends are just plot devices used to keep the plot going, but Vera was a true friend. I love her so much. She is a sweetheart.

      Gabe is such a cutie. I loved his character. He's kind of a butt at first, but he really grows on you as the book progresses. I loved his relationship with Sloane. It's a very natural and sweet. I shipped them throughout the book. I could just tell that he was a good egg...even with the annoying attitude at the beginning. It's not the main focus of the book, but it was such a great addition. I think I would be total trash for a whole book about Sloane and Gabe's day-to-day interactions. Add Vera and the rest of the gang and it would a hilarious and adorable book. That makes no sense, but....I want more of Sloane's snark and Gabe's attitude. 

      Remy is such a cinnamon roll. He is really flawed and imperfect. His character arc is so great to read. I love how his struggles were handled. I want more of his story. I also loved Frank. He's literally a legend. At first, I wasn't too sure about him, but by the end of the book, I wanted to be his best friend. I really loved the respectful girl and guy friendships. This book is a great example to show to those who think girls and guys can't have platonic friendships. THANK YOU, EMMA MILLS! Also! The female characters are so great in this book. There is no animosity between the girls, even if they aren't friends. I just loved that there wasn't any unneeded girl hate. Sloane literally calls herself out whenever she's being internally rude to others. I loved how aware she was of her actions. Much respect for Sloane. She's the best.
     Sloane's relationship with her parents was so refreshing. Cool and relatable parent relationships are also hard to come by in YA romance/contemporary. I don't know as much about Sloane's mom, but her dad was the best. I wish I had a dad similar to him. I'm a fan. He is such a hilarious and original character I've never read about a character like him before. He's basically an author similar to Nicholas Sparks. I would love to read his books. They sound perfectly cheesy and exactly like what I need in my life. I loved his passion for fanfiction and writing. His introduction to fandom is so REAL! I love love loved it. He and Sloane's mom have a very dynamic relationship and I loved the underlying subplot. 

     I also really liked Sloane's little sister, Laney. She's so cute and is so nine. My baby sister, Bailey, is nine and whenever Laney did anything I just had to nod my head and mutter "oh goodness she's so nine!" I love it when smaller kids are represented well in YA. Sometimes they're really annoying
    
     This book is just so fantastic. I adored every bit of it. I need more books like this. I desperately hope that Mill's books are like this in the future.This was exactly what I needed in my life. I highly recommend this book. 

Other Emma Mills Reviews: 

Other Contemporary/Romance Books You Would Love:

Happy reading!
Olivia
~LivTheBookNerd~

Twitter // Instagram // Tumblr // Goodreads // YouTube // Bloglovin // Book Depository @LivTheBookNerd on Books Amino

No comments:

Post a Comment