Thursday, January 26, 2017

Gemina (The Illuminae Files #2) by Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman (illustrated by Marie Lu)

29236298
Page Count: 659 Published on: October 18, 2016 Published by: Knopf Books for Young Readers Genre(s): YA, Science Fiction, Dystopia Source: Print: Hardback & Audiobook via Library Age Rating: YA
Where To Find It: Goodreads // Amazon
My Rating: 4 stars (overall)
Audiobook Rating: 5/5 stars



Goodreads synopsis:

Moving to a space station at the edge of the galaxy was always going to be the death of Hanna’s social life. Nobody said it might actually get her killed.

The saga that began with Illuminae continues on board the space station Heimdall, where two new characters will confront the next wave of BeiTech’s assault. Hanna is the station captain’s pampered daughter, Nik the reluctant member of a notorious crime family. But while the pair are struggling with the realities of life aboard the galaxy’s most boring space station, little do they know that Kady Grant and the Hypatia are headed right toward Heimdall, carrying news of the Kerenza invasion.

When an elite BeiTech team invades the station, Hanna and Nik are thrown together to defend their home. But alien predators are picking off the station residents one by one, and a malfunction in the station’s wormhole means the space-time continuum may be ripped in two before dinner. Soon Hanna and Nik aren’t just fighting for their own survival. The fate of everyone on the Hypatia—and possibly the known universe—is in their hands.

But relax. They’ve totally got this. They hope.



~~~

Hey, guys!

      It's been about six months since I read Illuminae, the first book in the Illuminae Files, but Kristoff and Kaufman's story has resonated with me for those few months. I really loved the characters and the format of Illuminae. I really fell in love with the characters that were introduced in Illuminae, so I was kind of wary to be introduced to a whole new group of characters. On top of that, I neglected to remind myself of the details that I had forgotten during the last few months. Granted, it wasn't hard to get context from Gemina, but I probably would have benefited if I had just read a spoiler-y summary before I started Gemina. That was my fault, but no big. I loved this book. 

      I'm not going to comment about the format again. I adore how unique this book is. There were so many different elements that are featured in this book that really tied the story together. I can't wait to read more.

      The audiobook was such a fantastic production. I absolutely adored it. There were so many voice actors and cool sound effects that really added a special something to the story. If your local library has a copy of the audiobook to listen to while you read, then I highly recommend that you read and listen. It's a very visual book, but the audiobook gives you so much more. I highly recommend.

      I really enjoyed the new characters that were introduced in Gemina. Hanna and Nik were so funny to read about and listen to. I really enjoyed reading Gemina and listening to the audiobook with it. Although I really loved the characters from Illuminae, I really fell in love with Hanna and Nik's friendship. Hanna was such a badass and Nik was the perfect mix of bad boy and the sensitive tough guy. Hanna, at first, seemed like a really spoiled and annoying person, but once I really got into the book I totally loved her. She was so strong and snarky. Her relationship with her father wasn't perfect, but it was so cool to see what they did together...it wasn't the typical father-daughter relationship, but her father really did love her and wanted her to be able to protect herself. I loved it. She's so gorgeous, but she's lethal. I couldn't exactly relate to her circumstances, but I connected with her. She was a very realistic character. Let's talk about Nik. Oh, Nik. He was just a fantastically well-rounded character. He is so mysterious and sarcastic. I just loved him so much. He was perfect. I don't want to reveal too much, but he was probably one of my favorite characters. I also really enjoyed Nik's cousin Ella. Her commentary was so hilarious to read/listen to. Her story was so heartbreaking to read. I wanted so much more of Ella. 

      I loved that Kady and Ezra were still in this book. The little bits that they were in weren't my favorites, but I loved how the books are being intertwined. I can't wait to see what book 3 will entail. 

      Once again, AIDEN was featured in this addition to the series. I love AIDEN! He is so obliviously sassy. While I was reading and listening to this book, AIDEN's parts really freaked me out. I had to mute/skip AIDEN's parts during the audiobook. I can read about AIDEN, but the voice actor was gloriously creepy. I can't wait to see how AIDEN is incorporated in book 3. 

     Little appreciate blurb for Marie Lu's illustrations! They were so gorgeous! I had no idea that there were going to be illustrations this time around. I can't wait to see if there are more featured in book 3! Phenomenal! How have I not read any of Marie Lu's books yet? It's been added to the list of books that I should read in 2017. 

     Overall, I really enjoyed Gemina. I don't think it was as great as Illuminae, but I still loved it. I can't wait to continue the series in October. I also need to pick up some of Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman's books. I hope their writing styles are just as good apart as they are together. I can't wait. 

I highly recommend this book and audiobook!

More By the Authors That I've Reviewed:

Happy reading!
Olivia

~LivTheBookNerd~
@LivTheBookNerd on Books

No comments:

Post a Comment